617 Squadron Memorials Woodhall Spa
At the Royal Square in Woodhall Spa, Lincolnshire, two memorials commemorating the crew members of  617 Squadron, 'Dambusters', who lost their lives during and after the Second World War.

This site was previously the Royal Hydro Hotel. In the night of 17/18 August 1943 the hotel was destroyed by a German parachute mine.
The grand monument is unveiled on 17 May 1987. The design of the monument is inspired by an operation of 617 Squadron on 16/17 May 1943, where two major dams in the Germany’s Ruhr area were destroyed with an 'Bouncing bomb'. The monument is a damaged German dam with six-panels, listing the names of 204 crew members killed during operations / training and transfer flights during World War II;  including the names of the crew members who have served with 617 Squadron and were killed in service of another unit. On the slanted center panel is the badge of 617 Squadron with the motto 'Après Moi Le Déluge' (after me the flood), below the badge the 'Battle Honours'
The Dams 1943 * Fortress Europe 1943-44
Normandy 1944 * Tirpitz 1944
Biscay Ports 1944 *  France and Germany 1944-45
German Ports 1945 * Channel and North Sea 1944-45

The other monument is unveiled on 19 May 2013, commemorating the more than 30 members of 617 Squadron who lost their lives since the end of World War II. It is a three meter tall black granite pyramid shaped monument, reflecting the shape of the wings of a Vulcan and Tornado plane. At the top of the front is the badge of the 617 Squadron, with the text below;

"In memory of all members of 617 Squadron Royal Air Force who gave
their lives since 1945 in the service of their country"
"We will remember them"

On both sides is a red lightning bolt, and on the right hand side you can see the 'Battle Honours' - "Gulf 1991 - Iraq 2003"
Les Munro  &  Johnny Johnson
© 2018  617sqn-namf | Terms and Conditions | Privacy Statement